About the show
Lard Dog & The Band of Shy burst onto the New York entertainment scene in 2015 with an off-Broadway theatre run called, "Life's A Real Dream". With their quirky lyrics and infectious tunes the band has drawn comparisons to Devo, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Pee Wee Herman, and the B52's. Lard Dog has longstanding roots in New York, performing everywhere from CBGB's Gallery and Fez Under Time Café to Joe's Pub and Symphony Space. In 2017 the band landed the #1 chart-topping song on Sirius XM with their single, "I Like” and will be heading to Chicago this August to perform at the world famous Lollapalooza music festival.
Life's A Real Dream is an all-ages musical extravaganza that promotes positive messages of creativity, acceptance, and frivolity - with massive amounts of absurdism thrown in. Lard Dog and his 6-piece Band of Shy invite you to their unique audio-visual universe, complete with catchy songs and multi-media graphics. Come play along and slurp the noodle of life—for Life's A Real Dream!
Three frequently asked questions about this act: 1) Who is Lard Dog? He's the alter ego (who hails from Planet Belopio) of multi-media artist Steven Erdman (who hails from New York City and upstate New York). 2) What's "LARD" stand for? It's an acronym for Life's A Real Dream. 3) What's "DOG" have to do with it? Absolutely nothing!
The autism-friendly accommodations for this performance will include:
- A relaxed atmosphere to allow all guests to talk and vocalize as they wish throughout the performance.
- All guests are free to leave their seats and/or exit & re-enter the theater as needed at any time.
- A chill-out zone will be provided for anyone wishing to take a break from the music.
- House lights will be on, and dimmed, inside the theater and no flashing lights will be used on stage.
- BYO reinforcements and motivational systems.
- BYO snacks & drinks.
- A gender-neutral family bathroom will be available.
- There will be no balloons or interactive props used at this performance.
- While efforts will be made to normalize and reduce the volume, please be aware that this is a music-driven performance. Please BYO headphones or earplugs, as needed. Please also be aware that there are multi-media graphics that run throughout the performance on a screen above the band.
- Our show is all about acceptance and we hope your entire family will enjoy the experience.