About the class
Students will approach accents in a whole new hands-on way, peeling back the curtain on breaking down an accent, as well as unlocking and sharpening their natural accent instincts to go beyond accent stereotypes and the low-hanging fruit.
You’ll sharpen your accent ear and your instincts to recognize the accents all around us, unlock the accent skills you already have, and become a better improviser by relying on subtlety rather than stereotypes.
Some of the topics in class may include:
- What is an Accent vs a Dialect? Do I have an accent?
- Accents are a Tool, not a Crutch.
- Where am I from and how do I identify with that in my own life?
- What are your ‘favorite’ accents and why? What features do you notice?
- Practice listening for other accents all around us
- The “So-Called General American” Accent
- Stereotypes (low-hanging fruit) vs truth in character.